talking #451

heavoid src #4284

talking about things without a topic is hard. sustaining a discussion on nothing is not possible. it's like the awfulness of small talk, but worse since it's in forum format.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #4286

possibly terrible idea: someone picks discussion topics regularly

heavoid src #4287

i feel like that could lead to people metadiscussing the topic instead of discussing it.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #4288

how so?

razetime src #4310

discussion why the topic came up, etc

citrons (bureaucrat) src #4312

well, that's a form of discussion.

heavoid src #4314

it's not very interesting, and tends to burn out quickly. there's only so much to talk about talking.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #4315

well, at that point you start discussing the topic itself, instead of metadiscussing it

quintopia src #4316

i don't know that i've ever seen anything resembling small talk on a forum, and i don't think it necessarily has to be awful if people are willing to be open.

for example, has anyone had to do any adulting lately? i think it's been a while since i've done any. the closest i've come lately is doing a deep clean on the bathroom, which doesn't feel particularly adulty.

have you cooked anything fun lately? i made so much lasagna i just ate some for breakfast.

have you had any weird weather lately? we've been having some serious thunderstorms occasionally at night, but on the whole it hasn't been raining as much as it did in May and June.

mb (edited ) src #4319

in order:

• no (yay)
  • no (i suck at paliìˆng moku)
  • it rained yesterday for a reason i am uncertain of