the Apiology
kit src #3403

hey ubq not to pressure u or anything but is the competition still extant

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3404

yes. i am still waiting for guesses.

kit src #3405

ah. from whom?

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3406

presently, 'john travolta', but they don't seem to be responding on anything. i would end this round now actually but i'm not at home atm and i don't have my notebook with me

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3411

round 2 results

sinthorion chose 0, and trimill chose e-1 (β‰ˆ 1.72). distance < 5 so the highest guesser, trimill, wins

razetime chose 5 and citrons chose 10. distance ≥ 5 so the lowest guesser, razetime, wins.

Nathan777 chose 7.51 and kit chose the same value as last time, roughly equal to pi. distance < 5 so highest guesser, Nathan777, wins.

John Travolta did not submit anything, so quintopia's choice of 50cos(e^e^e) (β‰ˆ 9.45) automatically proceeds to the next round.

current bracket:

semifinal

from here on i will run each match separately. the first match of this round is trimill vs razetime. good luck!

kit src #3419

nooooooooo i have dieddddddddd

ubq did u say hi to sinthy

razetime src #3420

good news kit, now apioforum stuff goes to the chat thru "webhook" so you can say hi from here

kit src #3421

hiiiiii sinthyyyyyy i misss uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

mb src #3424

who's sinthy

mb src #3425

also why were none of the previous messages here webhookified

munvoseli src #3426

sinthorion, most likely

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3427

it looks like the discord webhook stopped working for a little bit, i don't know why. discord webhooks and apionet webhooks both seem to be working again now.

kit src #3429

HI SINTHY

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3430

trimill chooses sqrt(2) + sqrt(3) + sqrt(5) β‰ˆ 5.38

razetime chooses 9.9999999

the distance is less than 5, so the highest guess wins this match, which is razetime!

(i don't have my notebook with me at the moment so you will have to imagine the bracket)

next match is quintopia vs Nathan777. good luck!

mb src #3431

imagines the bracket

ubq323 (bureaucrat) (edited ) src #3441

Nathan777 chooses 7.51, again.

quintopia chooses 5.147102625.

the distance is less than 5, so the highest guesser Nathan77 wins the match!

THE FINAL

here is the current tournament bracket:

the FINAL shall be between razetime and Nathan777. i imagine both competitors will be looking carefully at their opponents' previous guesses, in order to exploit any patterns they may be able to spot. in fact i encourage them both to explain, in great detail, in this thread about how exactly they are each going to choose their guess for the FINAL.

here are some additional observations:

• both of the finalists played their first match in round 2, rather than round 1.
  • up to this point, all matches except one have ended with a distance of less than 5, meaning the highest guess has won
  • the image quality of my tournament bracket drawings has declined steadily since the beginning of this competition, due to poor lighting
  • 13 of all 17 submitted guesses (that's 76%) have had an integer part that is odd; only 4 have been even.
  • the largest ever guess is 10, and the smallest ever guess is 0.
  • the mean guess is about 5.598. the standard deviation of the guesses is about 3.131.
  • the median guess is 5.147, the lower quartile guess is 3.142, and the upper quartile guess is 7.510.
  • there isn't a unique mode - 3, 10, pi, and 7.51 have each been submitted twice, and all other submitted guesses are unique.
  • here is a box plot:

good luck to both the finalists !

razetime (edited ) src #3443

grand final stress

Nathan777 src #3473

number game when

ubq323 (bureaucrat) (edited ) src #3508

Nathan777 chooses 7.77.

razetime chooses 2.5.

the distance is thus 5.27, which is greater than 5, and so the lowest answer, razetime wins!!

there is a winner πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰ πŸŽ‰

mb src #3509

yay

razetime src #3510

i feel accomplished

munvoseli src #3511

!!!

Nathan777 (edited ) src #3514

gg.

also not β€œagain,” last time was 7.51

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3523

i'm not sure why i said 'again'.