number guessing competition #346

the Apiology
ubq323 (bureaucrat) (edited ) src #3253

number guessing competition

rules:

in each round, two players play against each other. each player picks a real number between 0 and 10 inclusive.

if the distance between the two numbers is less than 5, then the player who picked the highest number wins. otherwise, the player who picked the lowest number wins. (if the two numbers picked are equal, then there is a rematch of this round).

(the distance between two numbers is defined as the absolute value of their difference. ie distance(a,b) = abs(a-b) ).

the competition is structured as a single-elimination knockout tournament between all participating players.

if you want to play, respond in this thread, or react to the message in #event-announcements in the esoserver discord, or message me some other way.

razetime src #3254

Hi I am number guessing

kit src #3255

ooh sounds fun, im in

mb src #3256

where's the guessing part

caesar src #3257

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3258

if you want to play, post in this thread or elsewhere as mentioned. once a reasonable number of players have shown interest, i will structure the competition and start it. people will submit their guesses by sending their chosen number to me when i ask them to.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3259

mb, caesar: can i interpret you posting in this thread as you both wanting to play?

citrons (bureaucrat) src #3260

yes

jmibo src #3261

im in as well

big brother (bureaucrat) #3262
this post never existed.
mb src #3265

ubq: yes

mb src #3266

(for me anyway)

ubq323 (bureaucrat) (edited ) src #3269

current people who are playing:

• razetime
  • kit
  • mb
  • citrons
  • jmibo
  • trimill
  • Nathan777
  • taswelll
  • quintopia

i will leave this open until tomorrow, probably. (though 8 participants is very convenient). after that i will randomly arrange tournament bracket things and then the competition will start.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3341

final participant list:

• quintopia
  • razetime
  • john travolta
  • trimill
  • taswelll
  • sinthorion
  • Nathan777
  • kit
  • mb
  • citrons
  • jmibo
ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3342

i have randomly sorted the list, and here is the tournament bracket:

i think that i will run the first round in parallel. therefore i need the first number guess from these people:

• taswelll
  • trimill
  • jmibo
  • citrons
  • kit
  • mb

privately send your number guess to me via discord dm, email, xmpp, or anything else that i will see.

mb src #3343

very epic handwriting

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3344

thank you

ubq323 (bureaucrat) (edited ) src #3345

i currently have number guesses from taswelll, trimill, citrons, and kit. so i still need one from jmibo and mb.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3360

i now have guesses from everyone except jmibo, and also a mystery email from someone who didn't include their name. it seems reasonable to assume the mystery emailer is jmibo but i would like them to confirm. jmibo, please confirm whether you are the mystery emailer.

jmibo src #3361

yes, i should have clarified

big brother (bureaucrat) #3362
this post never existed.
jmibo src #3363

i need to stop sending things twice

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3364

ok!

round 1 results

taswelll chose 3, and trimill chose 6ln(2) (≈ 4.16). distance < 5 so the highest guesser, trimill, wins

jmibo chose 7 and citrons chose 10. distance < 5 so the highest guesser, citrons, wins.

kit sent me what appears to be the first ~10 million digits of pi (though i only checked the first few thousand digits). if you want, you can view the full 10MB txt file. mb guessed 3. distance < 5 so the highest guesser, kit wins.

round 2

current tournament bracket:

i will run this round in parallel as well, but i probably won't do that any more after this one. therefore i need guesses from all of these people:

• sinthorion
  • trimill
  • razetime
  • citrons
  • Nathan777
  • kit
  • John Travolta
  • quintopia
kit src #3365

wait, for clarification, is the number a whole number?

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3366

what?

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #3367

I mean, no, the number you guess doesn't have to be an integer. it can be any real number between 0 and 10 inclusive that I can compare with the other person's guess. two of the guesses in the previous round (including your own) are nonintegers, so this should be somewhat evident already

kit src #3376

oops i misread the rules lol

kit src #3377

hey ubq say hi to sinthy for me i miss him