the todo thread !!! #5

meta
ubq323 (bureaucrat) (edited ) src #10

this is the thread where i talk about things that still need to be done

general

• subforums
    • at least allow multiple forums. allowing them to be arbitrarily nested is probably not a bad thing, but it may not be needed right now either.
  • pagination
    • both for view forum and view thread page
  • reply button
  • markdown quotes (">") don't work
  • search ?
  • rss
    • api for arbitrary bridging
  • preview function for writing posts
  • notification system, or at least some way to ping people, maybe.
  • similarly, a way to track what posts someone has read, so you can see easily what threads have had activity on since you last visited.
  • should scroll down to your post when you post something done
  • a text editor slightly more sophisticated than a textarea might be nice. something like the dokuwiki editor which autoindents for you etc, but is mainly just a textarea, would be good. this would require js however.
  • display number of replies on the thread listing page, and also maybe the author of the most recent post.
  • make post id numbers clickable and linkable
  • 'change password' page
  • (discord) webhook support
  • sticky threads

stylistic

• make the pages look less bad
    • they mainly look ok now but still some of them are not great
  • make fuzzy timestamps slightly less annoying kinda
  • content is too wide to read comfortably on view_thread on small screens. probably have a column thing in the middle. done
  • the alternating grey colours are extremely ugly and don't work very well i have changed them
  • flashed messages box interacts badly with the navbar on mobile fixed, mainly
  • spacing around headers in posts is slightly too big fixed, mainly

for GEORGE

• private subforums
    • needs some kind of permissions system, at least allowing a "list of users allowed to see this subforum", but some more control would be nicer too. still needs some work
  • voting system
    • each user who can see a thread can vote for or against or abstain on that thread. vote totals for a given thread are displayed in a prominent place, on the view thread page and also in the thread overview listing still needs some work

for conic nomic

• voting system (see above)
  • categorisation system for threads: threads can have tags, and threads on the view forum page can be filtered by tag. tags can be changed by thread author and/or subforum admins (requires a per-forum moderator permissions system thing)
    • tag filtering semi-exists but needs a frontend
gollark src #12

Tags and subforums sound like they would have significant overlap. Also, perhaps a general reactions system is nicer than voting, unless you intend to use it for ranking.

Also, search WHEN?

ubq323 (bureaucrat) (edited ) src #13

Tags and subforums sound like they would have significant overlap.

probably. the use case I have in mind for tags is that you can tag proposal threads as "pending", "approved", "enacted", "rejected" and so on, while still also having the option to see all proposals in one place if you want.

Also, perhaps a general reactions system is nicer than voting, unless you intend to use it for ranking.

perhaps. allowing voting options to be configured per-subforum could potentially be useful in certain cases. I am intending the voting system to be used more for literal actual voting on some thing contained within a post, rather than as a ranking system: I don't want to create a reddit clone here.

Also, search WHEN?

maybe

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #14

aha, quotes don't appear to work very well. also, a "reply" button would be nice, i have just realised.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #20

yes. the hard part would be working out how much of a thread a user has read, but i suppose assuming that they have read everything currently posted when they load a page would work.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #21

hmm a thing was deleted

gollark src #24

You could track how far they've scrolled with JS, or alternately when pages arrive base it on that. Also, the post IDs should be clickable and linkable.

coral src #25

todo: conic nomic 3

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #26

so true

gollark src #50

We now also have search; thusly, none are safe. I will probably do RSS soon.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #57

many of the things on the list have now been done, which is reassuring. however, there may be other things that would actually be good, that are not on the list.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #67

tags

• ability to select tags when creating a thread
  • ability to search/filter threads by tags
  • ability for site admins to manage tags (instead of having to directly access the database to change any of them)
    • presumably this implies a site settings page for admins
    • presumably this also implies a way to determine who "admins" are. probably just a list, modifiable by admins. or maybe there is an "owner" who can appoint admins. or something.
  • (possibly) ability to have more style options on tags as well as just text and background colour
  • when we have multiple (sub)forums, then there should be per-forum tags (ie rules about what tags are usable in what forums). new tags for a subforum should then also be creatable by the "admins" of that subforum.
    • this implies some kind of per-forum moderation system, which i haven't fully thought through yet.
    • if we have nested subforums, then there should probably be an option to make tags inheritable and not inheritable, perhaps per-tag.
      • (or you could just recreate tags you want to inherit tbh)
citrons (bureaucrat) src #74

I think that tags should just inherit

ultlang src #104

to do: your mom

heavoid src #109

tags should inherit iff the poster wants them to

sussybaka src #118

@ultlang that was very funny congratulations you've won the funny award of the day

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #123

notifications and mentions

• add syntax for mentioning another user, perhaps @username. when a post containing mentions is posted, that user is notified about that post.
    • perhaps also support mentioning groups of users, eg all the moderators of a given forum or all the site admins, or something
  • each user has a set of threads they are 'subscribed' to. there is a button to subscribe/unsubscribe on every thread. when you create a thread, you are by default subscribed to that thread.
  • there is a 'notifications' page that lets you view unread notifications.
  • presumably there is some system to work out which notifications you have read and haven't read. i will think through that later.
    • also, if we separately have a 'number of unread posts' field on each thread which is separate from this notifications system, then that will use the same system as this, presumably. (presumably it will be useful to see the number of unread posts on threads you aren't subscribed to)
  • once we have subforums, you will be able to
    • subscribe to a forum, and be notified when new threads are created there
    • (separately) enable auto-subscription to all threads created there, and be notified of all posts created in those threads
    • subscribe/unsubscribe to all existing threads at once easily.
  • presumably we should avoid notifying a user twice about the same post (ie via subscribed thread and via mention)
    • but if a post is edited so that it now contains a mention we would want to notify them
  • if a post is deleted presumably notifications pertaining to that post should be removed. if a post is edited so it no longer contains a mention then the notification of that mention should presumably be removed. (we should think about what ux makes most sense here)
citrons (bureaucrat) src #231

todo item: ARIA labels

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #232

ah yes

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #235

todo item: apionet integration and discord webhook support

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #251

(posting this here now because it's in my head but i have to go and do something else right now)

db todo:

• use rcte for forum parent breadcrumbs
  • create views for most recent activity (per forum and for subforums), then simplify the big query for viewing a forum
ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #252

css/presentation todo:

• tidy up all the old grid things since we don't need them any more.
    • remove all obsolete or unused css from style.css and generally organise it a bit
  • add "number of replies" field back to thread listing
heavoid src #1786

is any of this going to be done

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #1800

contributions are welcome!

timaeusTestified src #1843

todo

your mum