rewriting apioforum #289

BlueManedHawk src #2830

my boss doesnt allow me to do most things that my brain can, is he malware?

That sounds like he's just doing assholey things.

no i mean like i could burn down the whole building but he wont let me, he thinks its some sort of "arson"

Based on prior experience, i doubt it's him constructing those laws in the first place. In any case, why would you want to burn the building down in the first place?

kit src #2831

no i mean like i could burn down the whole building but he wont let me, he thinks its some sort of "arson"

Based on prior experience, i doubt it's him constructing those laws in the first place. In any case, why would you want to burn the building down in the first place?

i never said i wanted to, i just said that i could

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #2832

lua doesn't let you arbitrarily access memory. does this mean that lua is malware?

BlueManedHawk src #2833

i never said i wanted to, i just said that i could

Well, if you don't want to, why does it bother you that you can't?

BlueManedHawk src #2834

lua doesn't let you arbitrarily access memory. does this mean that lua is malware?

No, because it's not doing that out of malice, but simply because it's outside of the scope of the language.

BlueManedHawk (edited ) src #2835

Relevant to #2833, and to get this thread back on its original track: Should an apioforum rewrite happen, i think that it would be nice to have a more "proper" reply system than quote pyramids. If that can't be done, i would instead like to suggest some way to make it a little easier than manually copy-pasting what one wishes to reply to and manually adding carrots.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #2836

No, because it's not doing that out of malice, but simply because it's outside of the scope of the language.

then why is rust malware? i don't think rust's safety features were added out of malice

ultlang src #2837

i think quote pyramids are fine but some sort of [quote] button next to the [src] to prefill the input textbox with the pre-anglebracketed source or something similar might be nice to have

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #2838

i think that it would be nice to have a more "proper" reply system than quote pyramids.

i agree, though a full rewrite probably isn't needed for this. i'm currently working on a refactor of other parts of the code so i probably won't do this myself particularly soon though. if you have a good idea for how it should work, feel free to contribute (the git repo is at https://g.gh0.pw/apioforum/)

taswelll src #2839

rust is malware because microsoft is a member of the rust foundation

gollark src #2840

There are build tools which can write the WASM bindings for you.

gollark src #2841

Regardless, I don't think C is actually "powerful" in any relevant sense. It lets you mess with memory in low-level ways, but this isn't something most programs actually need as much as end up doing as an implementation detail and/or horrible security problem. It doesn't let you define many nice abstractions or write code in general and terse ways.

BlueManedHawk (edited ) src #2842

then why is rust malware? i don't think rust's safety features were added out of malice

As seen in #2792, i've learned about the fact that Rust's safety features are, in fact, completely overridable and merely the default instead of a requirement, and have updated my message at #2781 to account for this. I now only consider Rust malware for the reasons mentioned in the second, not-crossed-out paragraph at #2781.

taswelll src #2843

neither of "there is one rust build system" or "the republic of Rustacea does not have a fair judicial system" are criticisms of the Rust language

BlueManedHawk src #2844

[…][C] doesn't let you define many nice abstractions or write code in general and terse ways.

I think that it's definitely possible to make nice abstractions and write code for general situations. I haven't messed around with C23's new auto and typeof, but if you're looking for generics, you can probably combine those with macros to get something like that (although admittedly macros also suck). As for terseness…well, just ask the participants to the IOCCC. I kid, of course, but while that's an extreme example, i do think it's certainly possible to write terse code in C.

BlueManedHawk (edited ) src #2845

neither of "there is one rust build system" or "the republic of Rustacea does not have a fair judicial system" are criticisms of the Rust language

True, but "There is only one ecosystem that the Rust language is designed for." is. You're right about the second one, though, but since that community is the official community, it's still definitely a big fuckin' problem, and one that does affect the language, even if it's not directly about it.

taswelll src #2846

are you talking about anybody or anything in specific? this is the first time i have seen someone complain about this

BlueManedHawk src #2852

Which thing-being-complained-about are you referring to?

taswelll (edited ) src #2856

[...]uses an immoral code of law that allows for infinite punishment to be given to people, allows punishment to be given without a fair trial, and allows punishment for actions committed outside of the jurisdiction of the Rust community.

why do you expect programming languages to be run like countries

BlueManedHawk src #2857

why do you expect programming languages to be run like countries

I expect that all jurisdictions will run in a way that is not morally reprehensible. I do not think that this is an unreasonable thing to expect.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #2861

what is morally reprehensible about the way that the rust community is run?

amby src #2863

The only two programming languages i think should be used are 0) C, because everything else is worse

enjoy your segfaults

kit src #2864

at least c is fast

amby src #2867

only cuz there's no runtime safety guards in place by default (save for what the os does)

BlueManedHawk (edited ) src #2868

what is morally reprehensible about the way that the rust community is run?

As i said before: the code of law allows infinite punishment to be given to people, allows punishment to be given without a fair and just trial, and allows punishment for actions committed outside of the jurisdiction of the Rust community, potentially among other things i'm forgetting. These are all immoral.

BlueManedHawk src #2869

enjoy your segfaults

Better than object-orientation.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #2870

As i said before: the code of law allows infinite punishment to be given to people, allows punishment to be given without a fair and just trial, and allows punishment for actions committed outside of the jurisdiction of the Rust community, potentially among other things i'm forgetting. These are all immoral.

honestly these don't seem too unreasonable to me, though i may be missing context. is this just a general complaint you have or are you referencing some specific incident?

Better than object-orientation.

rust isn't object oriented lol

gollark src #2871

Terse and still somewhat comprehensible, I mean, sorry. While it might technically be possible to implement things like generics with weird workarounds, it seems like nobody actually does this, so I cannot, say, conveniently import a generic hashtable like I can in Rust and use it on anything I want. There are other things like lack of ADTs which are problematic.