RFC: pointless arguments in apionet #482

what thing should we do

1. implement conversational guidelines discouraging common forms of bad-faith argument: 2 votes
  2. create a second channel to send long arguments to: 0 votes
  3. both of the above: 5 votes
  4. neither of the above: 2 votes
  5. nuanced other opinion: 0 votes
impleme...: 2 both of...: 5 neither...: 2 poll: what thing should we do option "implement conversational guidelines discouraging common forms of bad-faith argument": 2 votes option "create a second channel to send long arguments to": 0 votes option "both of the above": 5 votes option "neither of the above": 2 votes option "nuanced other opinion": 0 votes total votes: 9

BlueManedHawk src #4661

Well, yeah, i know it's not “simply” that; there are in-between steps.

taswelll src #4662

there is one key point you are not considering. 100% of apionet is arguments. if the arguments are moved somewhere else or removed altogether there is no more apionet. apionet consists only of this. there is nothing else ever happening on apionet. nobody ever pays attention to the non-argument apionet messages. the banter engulfs all.like a black hole and boy arent we all getting SUCKED into the hole. we are all going to get SUCKED into the hole and die. all o fus are destined to the HOLE. the HOLE is the end of everything and all the things. there is no destiny only HOLE. the HOLE will suck all of us up and poop us back out in the fifth dimension where we all can live happily without arguments or holes or poop. but unfortunately when you die in the fifth dimension you respawn in the normal dimension. so all of our efforts are in vain. no point in doing anything .sorry

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #4663

'experiencing emotions' is not in fact a "condition", nor can or should it be cured.

fragmentSagisces src #4664

i agree with yu bi kyu

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #4665

nobody ever pays attention to the non-argument apionet messages.

yes, this sad fact is the reason we created this RFC in the first place. the hope is that by moving the arguments to somewhere else, or by discouraging their existence in the first place, or both, we can give the other discussions some actual space to exist

citrons (bureaucrat) src #4666

Then it is your responsibility to comprehensively and unambiguously elucidate what you mean by that

it's not really my responsibility to do anything. think of apionet as our house. if we get tired of you, we can remove you from our house. we'd like to be nice to you and let you be in our house. however, there are various ways you can make this difficult for us.

without adjudicating who is right or who is wrong, you have many, many strict principles which you like to apply to everything being discussed and point out constantly. regardless of how severe you think something is, you should consider how severe we think it is and how appropriate we would find your objections to them to be.

you enumerate a set of harms which we do not subscribe to. we do not think banning someone from a chatroom or a minecraft server is a violation of their inalienable rights. if you can't adjust your conduct in light of this, we might want to see you out of our house.

BlueManedHawk src #4667

I was referring to the experiencing of harmful emotions because of emotional connection, not the experiencing of emotions at all.

caesar src #4668

i thought apionet was a commune, not a house

taswelll src #4669

apionet is a horse

BlueManedHawk src #4670

citrons, your metaphor is incorrect.

ubq323 (bureaucrat) src #4671

apionet is clearly a beehive. bmh, why do you keep voting again with every post?

fragmentSagisces src #4672

hawk i don't think it's up to you whether citrons' metaphor is correct or not

BlueManedHawk src #4673

Yes.

caesar src #4674

a metaphor cannot be correct or incorrect; merely apt or inapt.

BlueManedHawk src #4675

Okay, then it is inapt.

citrons (bureaucrat) src #4676

citrons, your metaphor is incorrect.

I don't care. I am using the metaphor to communicate the point. it is not an argument for you to refute. it is a piece of information that I am providing to you, for your benefit.

BlueManedHawk src #4677

No claim is immune to questioning, no matter what.

caesar src #4678

some claims are immune to questioning; tautologies are not questionable.

citrons (bureaucrat) src #4679

No claim is immune to questioning, no matter what.

the only "claim" I was making is that we might ban you.

BlueManedHawk (edited ) src #4680

In the construction of the metaphor of Apionet as a house, you were claiming that the metaphor was apt.

fragmentSagisces src #4681

this is irrelevant

fragmentSagisces src #4682

you evidently see the point that citrons is trying to make, otherwise you wouldn't be disputing if the metaphor fits the point citrons is trying to make

BlueManedHawk src #4683

Not necessarily. Knowing that the metaphor is inapt does not implicate that i know what a correct metaphor would be.

citrons (bureaucrat) src #4684

truly incredible.

alright, everyone. this discussion is over. if you have something to say further, let it be about the actual topic/voting in the poll.

big brother (bureaucrat) #4685
this post never existed.
BlueManedHawk src #4686

Which discussion?

heavoid src #4687

j jj j j j jj j j j j jjjjj jj j j j jj jj j j.

viba src #4688

I'm kind of a little bit iffy as to whether I think creating a second channel for long arguments is completely necessary. most of the arguments I find irritating are of the bad faith nature which the aforementioned guidelines are meant to prevent. but I also feel it could be beneficial in the long run, as do most other people